Post by agalbraith on Dec 16, 2012 15:14:59 GMT 12
Tis only a small update.....
Since my Isracast set turned up last week I got curious as to how I could utilize parts into my Kiwi one. The tailpipe had great detail so I took the kit piece and carved out the internal details. I then cut the end off the Isracast one and ground it down to a smaller dia on my drill with a blade.
Then I slid the resin part in until I was happy where it should sit then glued it in. I also curled up a thin piece of plastic card and inserted it about half way down to give a tidier edge.
Sanded, primed and here you have it....
Interestingly this fixes an area I wasnt sure how to fix.....more on that later
Last Edit: Dec 16, 2012 15:17:11 GMT 12 by agalbraith
Tony - will you be able to share the tools you use in another thread perhaps (workshop bench, lighting, magnifying lens/lamp, headgear etc), and the smaller detailing tools etc - it has obviously been built up over several years to give you the ability to make the changes and improvements you always seem to "need" to do to get the models making that true to life reality you desire and achieve.
BTW excellent macro photography too! Do you use a tripod for that work too or is it all handheld?
Post by agalbraith on Dec 19, 2012 21:00:35 GMT 12
Thanks guys, I humbly appreciate your feedback and am glad you are enjoying it.
Good idea, I will sort something on my next update on my tools ect....you may be underwhelmed!
I have a Nikon D5200 and just use it hand held. I get frustrated with myself as I know the camera can do more. But me being a typical male, I seem to think I dont need instructions on taking photos and bungle on blindly deleting 20 for every decent one I get!
Cheers and thanks Anthony
Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012 21:03:45 GMT 12 by agalbraith
Mate, I am glad to see you back on this project. I just wish I could work as 'clean' as you do! Everything always looks clean, crisp and uncluttered. I wish I could get primer on the way you do, I always seem to lose detail or I add some, like scratches, thumb nails etc...
I would be keen to hear about your tools as well, in fact I thought you might be one of the modellers who has tried those teflon tools that apparently resist CA and super glue?
Anyway, I am very keen to see this one finished, I would love to do a skyhawk myself but would probably have to do a WIF to avoid screwing up the finer details. Maybe a skyhawk representing the type that would have made up one of the RNZAF's topdressing units had they continued after trials!
Post by skyhawkdon on Apr 14, 2013 12:30:39 GMT 12
Today I managed to photograph in the FWD Hell Hole of NZ6254 at the Air Force Museum to get the detail Anthony and others were after. Many thanks to Darren Hammond from the Air Force Museum for allowing me to open her up to get the shots. I now have very sticky fingers from all the old hydraulic fluid that is everywhere in the hell hole of a Skyhawk! It still smells the same as I remember it too!
View of the RH gun bottle and cannon from the RH wheel well (looking inboard)
Looking up into hell hole where the engine meets the intake duct. The engine is brown, intake green. You can also see the empty TACAN mounting tray and a fuse panel on the LH side of the hell hole.
RH gun and link chute viewed from below
RH gun bottle and rear of gun from below
The red connectors are where you hook up an external hydraulic rig. The silver "pipe" is where the GTC Huffer hooks up to start the engine. It spins a turbine which is connected to the engine accessory gearbox
Now we are looking at the the LH gun installation (looking forward)
LH gun from the LH wheel well
LH gun installation looking aft
LH gun bottle and ammo can looking up
Last Edit: Apr 14, 2013 20:13:57 GMT 12 by skyhawkdon
Excellent work Don. I've downloaded these as well. Used to be bloody hard work getting those cans in there, all that lifting and twisting - so much for good lifting technique.
Note that the link chute (the bit with the nasty downward pointing spiky bit) and the ammo cans, were only fitted when doing gunnery, and the link chute had a red safety cover over it until the a/c was ready to go. Can't quite recall whether the red cover was removed at the ORP when the guns were armed, or during the dispatch.
Post by skyhawkdon on Apr 14, 2013 20:00:03 GMT 12
I've added some captions to the photos above now. Yes it is good that this aircraft has the complete guns, ammo cans and feed/link chutes installed. We can thank John Manning for that, he brought it all down from Ohakea when Safe Air assembled '54 and made sure it was all installed properly. One of '54s link chutes has the red cover over it that Phil mentions but I didn't take a photo of that, but can do so if anyone wants to see what it looks like. It was to stop us groundies cutting our heads open on the spike on the end of the link chutes!
Last Edit: Apr 14, 2013 20:16:13 GMT 12 by skyhawkdon