One of the Hamilton MAC members nearly burnt down his shed last Friday night after forgetting about a charging battery. I don't know the details but we all know modern chargers when configured correctly don't blow up batteries... but I do not know if that happened (and there is nothing left to examine). What did happen was he he went to bed... and walked into a very black garage Saturday morning. His charging table was in the middle of the room. Very very lucky. Well ages ago I thought about a cheap and easy charging station and it seemed like a good week to test it out! Basically... pop the pack into an oven dish and place a plastic bag of silica (paving) sand on top of the dish. Simply lift it off after the pack has charged. If the battery has a bad day (usually due to poor charger set up or aged/damaged cells), the burning battery melts the bag and the sand is released. I did the functional test Wednesday night... here it is.
I saw the same thing happen at our flying field on Sunday.A 2cell pack mistakenly charged at the 3 cell rate. Result was a sudden spectacular fire lasting several seconds, destroyed battery & scorch marks on the vehicle it was charging beside