Post by denysjones on Jan 13, 2018 20:12:26 GMT 12
Must be a bad night that I've got time to experiment with this! However we seem to have it sussed....my 40 years in the IT industry have ill equipped me to fight some of these modern systems.
Anyway onto the real gist of things.
If you look back to the recent posts you'll see what the forward looking view of the undercarriage bay of BXG looked like and here is where it was at a couple of weeks ago. It has progressed somewhat in the interim and now that I've got this photo thing under control I'll get some newer shots for you...ok Dave?
So attention now moves to the accessory bay forward of the u/c bay. As you'll see below it is a fair old mess with massive tin worm (look at the vertical member right of shot) plus the remnants of numerous bird nesting seasons.
Today I've got rid of said bird stuff and also removed the remnants of the corroded rail running across the lower centre ground. This required the removal of the u-shaped casting which is a footing for the accessory gearbox which will ultimately sit there.
This might take the heat off the frenetic posts about Wigram hopefully Dave :-)
Last Edit: Jan 13, 2018 20:37:31 GMT 12 by denysjones
Post by denysjones on Jan 15, 2018 13:12:09 GMT 12
Quiet day at the office today eh Ants? I see you're catching up on your browsing in work hours!
Short answer to the question is "unlikely" which means I don't have a complete picture of what goes there. The Fokker manuals are strange when you come to them from Lockheed and Vickers experiences so it makes it hard to get the info sorted.
It also appears that NAC/AirNZ altered things over time and differently between the a/c and coupled with that so did Fokker. I photo bombed the F27 at Caloundra and one of the other guys did BXH at Wanaka and its amazing the differences between those two (granted Caloundra is a 400 one) and BXG. Items have moved location in the nacelle, plumbing and wiring changes route, and a lot of the plumbing in BXG has changed from AGS fittings to AN. I guess that has taken place when things were replaced in the age when NAC/AirNZ had moved onto US fittings with the DC-8/737s being the dominant beasts in the fleet.
We've been hopeful of getting some materials from Airwork but haven't managed traction there despite a couple of contacts lobbying on our behalf. We'll have to see how the HARS acquisition plays out.
I'd also still be really glad if someone can help with contact(s) in the Chathams re BXI. The one email address I was given didn't yield a reply.
Post by Dave Homewood on Jan 15, 2018 13:32:18 GMT 12
It sounds like you need to enlist the help of some ex-Friendship engineers to help get your head around things. Given the Air New Zealand Engineering base in Christchurch and the longevity of the type in service, there must be quite a few of them out there, and probably a number of them here on the forum. So who on the forum can volunteer to give Denys and the team a hand to sort out and restore 'your' old aircraft?
Post by agalbraith on Jan 16, 2018 13:50:41 GMT 12
Lol Den, yes mate I can usually catch up on the odd forum on my downtime. However I am away camping at the moment and everyone around me is either sleeping, reading or sunbathing. None of it is interesting to me, so I am using data on my phone until I run out......then I can drink beer and socialise!
Post by denysjones on Jan 21, 2018 11:02:28 GMT 12
As promised last week here's a hot off the press view of the forward undercarriage bay. There's just a small bit of refurb left to do on the sills but now the previously stripped out items such as plumbing and wiring can go in and just yesterday the undercarriage retraction ram took up residence.
On the topic of the accessory bay this week one of the jobs was to remove the remnants of an angle riveted to the front wall of the bay and said front wall is the engine firewall for the nacelle. All the items mounted on it have been attached with steel screws, bolts or rivets and in the 20 odd years BXG sat outside they've all rusted, in some cases completely away, and left rust stains down the face of the stainless steel firewall. Fortunately it turns out that one of those old "grandmothers' home handbook" tips works to solve the problem. Vinegar mixed with baking soda to make a paste , applied, left for 30 minutes and gently polished off with a wet worn scotchbrite does the trick as the test area in the centre of the shot shows.
Last Edit: Jan 21, 2018 11:03:57 GMT 12 by denysjones
Post by agalbraith on Jan 21, 2018 13:25:09 GMT 12
Brilliant revival! I have heard of that trick, but never known anyone who had tried it...nice work and such a great result. Cant imagine she would have lasted too many years outside when you see the corrosion issues you have had to deal with......Will use that mix for future ref
I am a bit high on resin fumes, so I better get some fresh air.....home again and straight back on the Auster again you see!
Denys is doing a great job of keeping the forum up to date on the progress of the Hudson and F27, and there are plenty of Mosquito updates on Facebook, but as promised here is a bit of what else is ongoing: Hiller UH-12E ZK-HIK - Nearing completion
Fairchild Hiller FH1100 - stripping for repainting and corrosion control
Allison C-20 - Completed and ready for installation (not sure if this is going in the FH1100, Jet Ranger or H369)
Sunderland NZ4112 - Rudder pedals under restoration
Our next major undertaking is likely to be building a hangar to house the helicopter collection, (currently consisting of R22, R44, H269, handyman's dream H369, Jetranger, UH-12E, FH1100 and Wessex) - this is on hold for the time being while we wait to learn from how other building projects in the park progress in the post-quake regime.