The Classic Flyers Museum, Tauranga, Thread Nov 16, 2016 8:17:46 GMT 12 Dave Homewood and ZacYates like this
Post by davidd on Nov 16, 2016 8:17:46 GMT 12
NZ2505 served at Ardmore rather than Ohakea after its conversion to a drogue tower, and was withdrawn from Service in about March 1946 following the departure of 14 Squadron for Japan (the TBFs provided the drogue towing for these pilots to brush up on their aerial gunnery). Quite a good portion of the RNZAF's operational aircraft based in NZ received white side bars on their roundels from early 1944 onwards, regardless of whether they were intended for operational service in the forward area or not, although many other older P-40s at OTUs were NOT upgraded in this manner - there is, however, a great photo of a P-40E wearing bars after an overhaul at Rukuhia in Charles Darby's "The First Decade", 3095 from memory. The Corsairs based at Ardmore from July 1944 onwards are another case in point, pretty well ALL of them carried the famous white bars on all roundels, as did practically all transport aircraft (which often had to fly on overseas schedules), and even one Dominie domiciled in Fiji! Ditto a lot of P-40s at Ohakea too (and at Ardmore), as well as practically all PV-1s (but B-34s unknown).