Dave, The colour scheme worn by these British-built Tigers is basically the factory scheme which was more or less standard in UK for all training types - dark earth/dark green uppers, training yellow "unders". Roundels are also of standard RAF type (including Type "B" on upper wings), and no fin flashes of course, as these had been abolished by RAF many years previously. Also both aircraft have full night flying lights (wingtips, trailing edge of rudder). The proper school title should read "Flying Instructor School" (FIS), as per similar RAF schools.
When the RNZAF's FIS was set up at Mangere in September 1939 it had just six Tigers on strength (NZ719 - 724, cowling codes A to F), all ex Auckland Aero Club in civil markings, but the school was brought up to full strength by August 1940 utilising another eight Tigers (British-built on RAF Contract), NZ858, 875, 876, 879, 880, all in camouflage, plus NZ740 [H] and 741 . Added a little later was NZ658, by November 1940. Four Oxfords were added in January 1941, one Hind (NZ1545) in Feb 1941, and three Harvards (NZ901, 02, 03) in April 1941, although 918 and 921 were also used briefly in late May 1941. The FIS was renamed as the Central Flying School in August 1941, by which time it was located at Tauranga.
Most of the RAF-camouflaged Tigers (NZ650 - 690, and NZ851 - 900) were delivered to 3 EFTS (Harewood) from August 1940 and 4 EFTS (Whenuapai) from December 1940. It seems that most of these camouflaged aircraft were eventually resprayed in overall training yellow during 1941; most of the early locally built aircraft (NZ751 - 850) were delivered in the overall yellow scheme, although local camouflage was introduced in about March 1942 as the Japanese advanced southwards. David D