As mentioned previously, currently working on tail plane. This photo shows the starboard one with lower skins removed. There is minimal corrosion but to be sure all ribs will be removed cleaned up and preserved before reassembly.
The whole tail-plane set-up is quite cunning and seemingly similar to the Piper comanchee. The 2 individual tail planes slide onto a shared torque tube, which is supported in 2 in bearings mounted to the rear fuselage. The mass balance is also attached via 2 individual mounts and arms. Seems like a very strong system.
Good progress Craig she will look good when finished! My project is taking a breather, I'm currently running our tool room (a horrible job)for the next month while the tooling manager is in Europe on holiday. Once things are back to normal the hangar beckons!
The Auster should be recognised for what it is: a gentleman's aerial touring carriage and a nice aeroplane.
Side rails are now permanently fixed to the frame and starting to fit panels. All the DZUS studs will need removed and replaced (I have managed to source all the parts required). Unfortunately... I have not been able to track down the correct tools to to fit the gromets which hold the studs in place, so will have to try and knock something up on the lathe. Anyone out there who has a set (#6) they wouldn't mind loaning/selling let me know..... All the parts for the port tail plane have been cleaned, acid/alodine, painted. So back down to Gore tomorrow to assemble will post pix of the finished products soon. Just the fin to rebuild and all the tail surfaces will be complete.
We have now taken the leading edge skins off both wings and pleasantly surprised with the general lack of serious corrosion. The rest of skins will be removed once the wings are in the jig. We have started this process on the starboard wing and will only work on one side at a time to retain as much strength as possible. Good progress so far 1 week in.
The top skins will be replaced but should be able to reuse the leading edge and lower skins. We are not trying for a concourse restoration but rather a restoration which reflects the aircrafts previous history, defects, damage, repairs and all.
A bit of a mile stone today the first spar cap went back on. Ben is doing a really great job and a real perfectionist. The photo shows wing prior to fitting new spar cap. Also a big thank you to Murray Dreyer at AvParts (NZ). He has been fantastic help sourcing materials and very understanding of the budget constraints.