Post by agalbraith on Apr 28, 2019 20:45:23 GMT 12
Pleasure to help Alex!
Well both wings, and a few other bits n bobs added. Just priming the model and fixing any little blemishes in the surface. Its coming up nice, oh and I have ordered a few more Ultracast bits and a detailed stenciling set for the airframe...Hmm I am thinking I might want to keep it now, LOL
Well a good friend has seen this project and come to the party to help out by CAD'ing up the Gee Navigation sets for me. I will get these printed and HR339 will have an accurate set up installed. Thanks buddy (he wants to stay anonymous)
Thanks everyone, the guy doing it is a forumite so I am sure he appreciates your comments. Still doing a couple of little prep jobs on the surface, but life has kept me busy with the Auster rebuild, plus family stuff, work etc. But once I get those Gee units printed and painted I will be ready to pop the canopy on.
Then comes the task of pulling out all stops and trying to get a top notch paint job done. That can either make...or ruin a model!
Post by agalbraith on Jul 20, 2019 11:44:51 GMT 12
Started the process of building up the grey(this isn't the finished colour yet)....tedious job I must say! But I think the finished results will be worth it if my finger lasts the distance on the airbrush trigger!
Last Edit: Jul 20, 2019 11:56:08 GMT 12 by agalbraith
Post by agalbraith on Jul 22, 2019 14:05:44 GMT 12
As you can see now, I am building up the paint opacity. If you look at the lower rear fuse and tailplanes in this first photo you can see it is pretty much done. It is hard to see in real life, but worse in photos, but the surface has got this beautiful random textured finish on close inspection. I have tried pre-shading before but this method looks more natural, to me eye at least.
What I DONT want is a model that looks like it has dots all over it!
I am showing you these pics 'warts n all' so you can see how I am doing it...its not pretty to look at, at this stage! Be prepared if you are going to paint this way it's going to take a long time! Anyway, onto the pics....critique and ideas for improvement are always welcome
Still a fair bit of work on the wings yet to go
My Eduard masks arrived today so I can mask the canopy properly.
Thanks Dave The grey is practically finished now, just got to paint the u/c, bomb bay doors and new Resin flame dampening exhaust shrouds. then I can move on to the disruptive Dk Green upper surface. Might still blend in a 10% lighter (super thinned) MSG over the top for scale effect and slight variance.
But I just wanted to do a shout out to Roy Sutherland of 'Barracuda Studios' for sending me his 1/48 Mosquito decal sheen with all the stenciling. He thinks its an awesome project for the resto crew....thanks Roy, you are a legend mate!
Just need to start sorting out the rest of the decals incl the C.1 upperwing roundels and doing the EG-J/HR339 codes etc
Looking great mate! I can't wait to see further progress. Any chance of a pic of the marking decal sheet (appropriately watermarked etc to protect the manufacturer)? There are likely to be a few anachronistic markings, depending on how fussy you want to get. For example the locking marks on the fuselage hatch and the red fire access panels on the engine nacelles are post war innovations.
Post by agalbraith on Jul 28, 2019 20:04:30 GMT 12
Thanks Alex! I must say it’s really taking on a whole new look now the green is going on. It’s taken most of the weekend to get just over half of it on and look natural but operational .....sheesh it’s given me a headache. I’ll try and take a photo of progress tomorrow and the decals.
I will pop down and spend some time with you and Dagy before I start the decals and check out what ones to leave off etc. Plus I need to finalise a few minor details to get as close to accurate as I can for the Trade Me winner.
Thanks for your feedback mate
Last Edit: Jul 28, 2019 20:10:28 GMT 12 by agalbraith