Post by agile on Mar 21, 2021 16:49:34 GMT 12
I can't shake the mental image of a superhero whose special power is balancing a ball on his nose.
As some will have seen from Facebook the Mosquito project benefitted this week from the donation of a couple of new looking Palmer tyres donated by frequent benefactor and all round great guy Laurie Gudsell. Many will know Laurie from his ground-running Allison engine which is frequently seen at airshows. The tread pattern on these tyres is the same as those on TE910. They are a bit manked on the sidewalls from storage, but would certainly do a static. We have a set of the wartime grass field tread pattern which we will most likely use on HR339, but since they aren't making any more we're happy to acquire these. Thanks too to PTSL of Palmerston North for transporting these down to Christchurch gratis:
The tyres came with (amongst other bits and bobs) some Bendix remote indicating compass units and intriguingly named vibrator inverters - we have something of a surplus of these compasses so if anyone is chasing one for a project get in touch:
This week saw another small step in the big repair. I was the man on the inside for this glue-up so I got a couple of detail shots showing the array of fastenings used to get the glue joints tight. It's a busy area at the navigator's right elbow, with lots of the circular ferrules for fastening stuff to the sidewall of the cockpit (wiring, intercom terminals, ASI plumbing, the F equipment switch and one corner of Junction Box B are all mounted here):
It looks a bit of a patchwork now, but a bit of filler and sanding, and a coat of cockpit green and you'll never know. From here we are starting to think about how we rebuild the frame of the cockpit door. Tricky.