Very cathartic moment on Sunday drilling apart the tailplane for my "Dog". Have not been able to work on it for a long while and it was good to be doing something again. Three hours and all that was there was a pile of ribs, spars, skins and leading edges. Now to pull them apart individually, treat the small bits of corrosion, cut and drill new skins, prime, paint and rivet it back together again!
Ando you've only got to look at my restoration thread. Nearly 51000 views and that's just a civilian Auster. It's not just what the aircraft actually is its following someones progress and perhaps learning something at the same time. It also helps the restorer with some much needed encouragement at times.
The Auster should be recognised for what it is: a gentleman's aerial touring carriage and a nice aeroplane.
On the "C-180 " thread I tried again to put up a photo, and if you click on all the garbage you get a photo of C-180 BKG, but then if you get clicking on the photo you can go through the album, Tom Mullqueen in the engine shop, Sam Sands with a paint gun and a C-185, plus others.isc
In the absence of any pics just now and my with avatar anonymity a slight update. Last weekend, knowing that we may soon loose direct access to the bead blaster, I drilled apart the elevators completely down to their constituent components. They have a steel spar section that attaches to the main aluminium spar and this had some signs of corrosion so both came out and were blasted immediately and primed. Have bead blasted all the other components and shall start to prime after alodine treatment then its a colour topcoat for the interior parts for further protection. Outside will remain in primer till more bits ready for the final coat of colour before markings are applied. Have to make a new main upper skin for the Starboard elevator as it has been hammered by hail. The current one is ok to fly but just wont cut it in the looks department. Some repairs also needed on the tailing edge of the lower skin as it has a bit of hangar rash. Simple fix as I have old spare flap skins that are undamaged and just have to apply the repair as required by the structural repair manual. Very simple really. Flaps are ready to go apart from application of two fabric patches to the inboard end ribs. This is just cosmetic to keep any birds out. Won't cause water build-up and corrosion later as the trailing edge of the ribs is open where the fluted skins are riveted together. Now just a lot of alodine treating, priming and interior surface painting before they go back together. Next cab off the rank shall be the tailplane that needs new skins, spar disassembly to check for corrosion under the stiffeners and attach fittings and it gets the same treatment. Have just made the right wing flap shroud skin which is the last one to be cut and formed before the right wing can be riveted back together.
Post by Dave Homewood on Aug 3, 2017 14:23:10 GMT 12
Here are some photos of Pete's Birddog project, with his captions:
The tailplane before I drilled it apart showing the skins marked with their respective positions so I can cut and drill new skins
The Armament Panel for an eight rocket installation manufactured from scratch by me and which shall be “operational”
The disassembled elevator
All the tailplane internal ribs disassembled from the main and secondary spars all marked with their respective positions
And also the newly cut and drilled left wing flap shroud skin prior in a new type of primer I tried (but didn’t like so I’m going back to PPG Etch Prime).That flap shroud skin was the last one needed to start the rebuild of the wing.
Thanks for posting those Dave. Since the time those were taken I have drilled apart the main tailplane spar, bead blasted, alodined and primed a lot of the components all of which shall have a green coat applied to the interior pieces before reassembly. Purchased a sheet of Alclad for the new skins ($Aust375 - ouch)and shall get to cutting them out soon. The steel elevator spar with the two ribs attached has been blasted and primed and all those tailplane ribs have been drilled out to accept 1/8th rivets. Paint stripping this weekend after Temora then they too shall get the 'treatment'. Lot of process repetition but that's just the way it is.